Introducing myself

Owen Harvey

Introducing myself

Post by Owen Harvey on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi everyone, I'm doing a project next year for my final project at university on mod culture, I'm a documentary photographer (age 22) and I'm looking for young mods who wouldn't mind me photographing them, I've started covering the mod scene in London but want to cover as much of the UK as possible, I'll be down at the Brighton event as well if any of you lot will be down there and are up for having your portrait taken then please let me know... If not I am also frequently popping down Lincoln way, so if theres any of you who know of any good mod joints to meet people then please give me a heads up and I'll come down to meet a few faces and introduce myself...

Thanks

Owen
    lucasgomersall

Re: Introducing myself

Post by lucasgomersall on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 am

Who have you been taking piccies of then? I'm trying to recognise your name, but it doesn't ring any bells. Are you the one that took the photos of Ryan and the East London lot?
    I'm down in Devon by the way, and know a couple of the London lads. Be up for it if you're about down here at any time.
    josh

Post by josh on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:07 am

mate i know not all young but the mod scene at moment in liverpool is getting real big and the club i am in is the only mod club in liverpool its called goldhawks scooter club there is also liverpool scooter club who have some mods but there more scooter boys and girls
    Owen Harvey

Post by Owen Harvey on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 am

Alright Lucas, well just started, but I know a lad called Aaron Gardner who lives in Elstree but he goes down to a lot of the London mod events so i'm gaining contacts through him for the project atm. I didn't take any pics of Ryan as far as I know as I've only shot two events so far which I used more for just meeting people... As far as Devon goes it's a bit of a journey atm but I will keep you updated if I am down that way anytime soon, appreciate the offer... Josh I am mainly looking for younger mods if you know any please do tell pass on the message that I'm looking for younger mods to photograph... Many thanks

Owen
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:12 am

What about burly scruffy scooterists from the grim bleak north with rusty scooters? Or do you only want pansies on moddy bollocks scooters? Razz

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:20 am

Welcome aboard Owen.

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:20 am

NorthernJordan wrote:What about burly scruffy scooterists from the grim bleak north with rusty scooters? Or do you only want pansies on moddy bollocks scooters? Razz

There's already too many pictures of you floating about on the internet Jord, and now you're in printed media as well it's even worse.

BTW I've seen the pictures of you posing on mod-scene or whatever it's called

*cough, fisherman's jumper

I'm the ace-face round here btw albino

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    Owen Harvey

Post by Owen Harvey on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Alright Jordan, I'm up for photographing anyone who is really part of the scene as I want it to be a true representation of the scene at the present time... atm due to travel, as I'm using trains I'm really looking for people around areas that I'm situated, which in the next few months is London (and surrounding areas) Brighton (for the mod weekender) Lincoln (at various times) and Wales (Newport and Cardiff from September onwards). I'm covering these places mainly but places in between these would also be good, so I'm fairly flexible. If you are around any of these places or you know of any lads or lasses around this who are available please spread the word or get them to post on this... Also all people who are photographed will receive copies of the images and I'll be hoping to exhibit the work when it's finished.

Thanks for you're time mate and thanks for the replies everyone else so far, it seems to be a great forum!
    Jamie

Post by Jamie on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:38 am

welcome to the forum mate, i did a bit of photography at college, have you got a Flickr page? There are going to be lots of us at mersea island if you can get there!. keep it up!
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:03 am

Wally wrote:
    NorthernJordan wrote:What about burly scruffy scooterists from the grim bleak north with rusty scooters? Or do you only want pansies on moddy bollocks scooters? Razz

There's already too many pictures of you floating about on the internet Jord, and now you're in printed media as well it's even worse.

BTW I've seen the pictures of you posing on mod-scene or whatever it's called

*cough, fisherman's jumper

I'm the ace-face round here btw albino

I meant you and Scotty any way! Razz

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:57 am

Thought I was "from Shropshire"?

I have managed to cultivate a nice bit of rust on the TX now pirat

Owen Harvey

Post by Owen Harvey on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:58 am

Alright Jamie, mersea island sounds interesting! Definitely a possibility, do you have any ride outs going on any time soon or other events? Also is anyone getting involved with this "March of the mods"? it's to raise money for the teenage cancer trust and events are going on all over the UK (I'll be at these events photographing also)... Here's some of my work www.driveaway.tumblr.com if you want to have a ganders Jamie... Nice to meet you.

Jamie

Post by Jamie on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 am

Really great work there mate! the cannal lock ones are cool! Very Happy here is my flickr, but there is a lot of shit on there. its just my dumping groung for photos really. needs a clear out. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamielawn/
    JamesD

Post by JamesD on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:16 am

welcome to the forum lad!
    MH 13

Post by MH 13 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:06 am

i did my dissertation at uni on vespas and the impact on british culture, got the equivalent of a high 2.1 on that, ended up with a 2.2 over all though,

as for the 'scene' its sort of split in two, you have the mods which are part and parcel of the scooter scene, then you have mods which are not, i know there is a mod forum which isn't associated with scooters, more associated with fashion, someone on here is on it, can't remember what its called though,

the fact is there is mod culture still in the uk, you just have to look where they are hiding, you will find young mods rare amongst our population, i walk through manchester city centre and i can spot young mods who dress in the steriotypical fashion,

the question you have to ask is, are mods today, just a carbon copy of mods in the past or have mods evolved?

i would class myself as a modern mod, yer ok i do have a wellar/gallagher haircut, iv even been said to look a bit like myles kane, but i don't necessary dress in all the clothing you would class a mod to wear, so is it the fashion that defines a mod???

or could it be the music?

again i listen to a lot of mod bands/northern soul/ motown etc, but then again i have a broader music taste than that,
    people have associated brit pop to being mod, just because of oasis and blur, a lot of mods will swear down this was purely just because they had the wellar cut and hence was branded that, and that they are not mods,

but i look it as the evolution of mod music, brit pop was just the sound track for the mods in the 90's, just as the who was the sound track for the mods in the 60's, followed by the jam,

i would say that indie music was the soundtrack for mods during the 00's,

many would disagree, but i think it was, the question is whats next?

things that are retro/nostalgic comes around in cycles, 80's mod revival, 00's saw a huge rise in the scootering scene, as footballers rode around on scooters, many celebs had scooters, it was in the in thing, couple that with the indie bands all created a new buzz in scooters and the mod scene,

the thing is it doesn't die out, because as each cycle comes by, it gains new people into it, which then gets passed on to the next generation,

i can see in the 2020's there will be an indie revival and i can guarantee that the mod culture will be attached to it, as it will be the generation which is here now that grew up with the music will get into all again,

so in all honesty define what a mod is? because we are now into the 3rd generation of mod,

like i have said to people on here who comment on what should they wear or what looks best, i reply with my motto - be a modern mod, make it what you want it to be,

which basically means don't get stuck being a stereotype, take influence from the past and apply it to new things, mix it up a bit, you don't have to wear a parka and listen to the who to be a mod,

remember - 'I don't wanna be the same as everybody else. That's why I'm a Mod, see?'

jimmy - quadrophenia

this sums up what a mod is,

regards

matt

im sure that short essay should help you in your studies Smile
    Owen Harvey

Post by Owen Harvey on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Cheers for the insight mate, it was an interesting read! Does anyone have any idea what this other forum is that more covers mod fashion than scooters? As I'm interested in covering all sorts of Mods (those who are interested in scooters and those who are more interested in the fashion)
    lucasgomersall

Post by lucasgomersall on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:00 am

Owen Harvey wrote:Cheers for the insight mate, it was an interesting read! Does anyone have any idea what this other forum is that more covers mod fashion than scooters? As I'm interested in covering all sorts of Mods (those who are interested in scooters and those who are more interested in the fashion)

A good forum before it was removed was the "modculture" forum, but this has now been dissolved. However, the modculture site is still there, and people are invited to comment on various posts etc.

New Untouchables is a good place to gain information, they run most of the events in and around London, and the Brighton weekender, and as of this year a Birmingham weekender I believe? You can contact a few of the people by just looking on their website.

Most mods today have scooters because they are a show off piece which keeps the "look". Back in the 60's, mods wouldn't have cared about their scooter enough to do full restorations themselves, and would probably buy themselves a Mini Cooper or Hillman Imp as soon as they could get rid of the scooter.

Today the mod scene is so spread out, that it is impossible to follow every bit. Personally I like the early 60's London style fashions where it was all about tailoring, RnB and Jazz. If people did have scooters, they would not have all of the silly accessories you see today, it would be a bog standard Vespa GS150 or Lambretta TV or GT with white wall tyres and maybe a rear rack and chrome panels. No mirrors, no crash bars. These lot would be more Leather Coats than Parkas, more mohair suits with tab collar shirts and knitted ties than Levi 501's and Fred Perry shirts on a night out. This is what it is mainly like around London today, in the New Untouchables nights.

Another take on the mod scene is what we call the "swirlies", this lot are to do with the later Carnaby Street fashions, with paisleys, chelsea boots, stripey trousers and long barnets. Mainly listen to Psychedelic/Freakbeat/Garage music from the latter half of the decade. But these lot are rare as rocking horse, and you don't see many.

Most of the young mods today wear revival style fashions, with Weller wigs, burgundy sta prest strides and tend to be more about the scooters than the clothes. Or even Indie fashions, as explained by Matt. But this tends to be more of a Northern phenomenon.
    Owen Harvey

Post by Owen Harvey on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Lucas, you've been a big help with all that info! Do you go down the London nights that New Untouchables put on? Up for meeting for a pint?

Owen

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:05 am