product design project

Skajosh

product design project

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:04 am

Right im gonna make a scooter related product, I'm thinking a chair. So if you could have a chair to sit on while fixing your scoots then what would it be like? What features would it have? What would you want the design to be like? Any storage etc?

Ideas and advise would be great as I can build something off your views.

Cheers lads

Josh

Last edited by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    ModdyBoy

Re: product design project

Post by ModdyBoy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:13 am

One that can adjust in size, can fold up and use as a mat to lay on, storage for tools I.e. spanners and rachets.
    Skajosh

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks that's what I was thinking, I'll be mocking up some ideas and ill post them on here.
    2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:51 am

a bit like a drum stool, but one that adjusts up n down like an office chair - maybe with some sort of container sticking out each side for tools
    Skajosh

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 am

The drum stool idea is a good one I think.
    It's something that has been mentioned on another forum and will look down the designing route for one.
    If it was a drum stool idea then:
    would you like arm rests or not?

What kind of compartments would you like on it? Material fabric pockets on either side of the stool?
    or some kind of container placed somewhere reachable?

2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:30 am

i was thinking like a hard plastic or metal box on one side instead of an armrest, then its always easily accessible and you can see what you looking for instead of routing around in a bag blindly
    Skajosh

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:56 am

Would you think a draw under the seat be a good idea?
    I'm thinking more for room and dimention purposes of course. But mainly idea's at the moment and then I can worry about dimentions and stuff later.

So you think that having some kind of container type storage device would be more idea than a pocket styled bag?

Express your views as open and as clear as you want as you lot are the target audience.
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 am

Not be negative, but I wouldn't use a chair as everything I do on the scooter it is on the floor so if i were to use a chair I would be leaning over. Something that lifts the scooter/part I'm working on off the ground would be much more useful IMO.

LCGB Member - 5226
    2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:34 am

NorthernJordan wrote:Not be negative, but I wouldn't use a chair as everything I do on the scooter it is on the floor so if i were to use a chair I would be leaning over. Something that lifts the scooter/part I'm working on off the ground would be much more useful IMO.

thats true tbf
    Skajosh

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 am

NorthernJordan wrote:Not be negative, but I wouldn't use a chair as everything I do on the scooter it is on the floor so if i were to use a chair I would be leaning over. Something that lifts the scooter/part I'm working on off the ground would be much more useful IMO.

Yeah but this is the issue we have.
    Padlock stands have already been made and they're too easily made. If I'm honest a bit of weld and some tubular steel and one is fabricated in about an hour.
    If you look on shaggy's pictures you can see he has one. Tony O'brien and many of the racers use them, they're that easily done someone on the smallie forum manufactures them in his garage for £30.

If you lads want I'll make one on the side so when I take pictures of the chair in a real life environment you'll see them both in action.

Don't want to be blunt with things as objections are great but trying to make something out of the norm is what I'm trying to do. Plus sitting on the floor is freezing, I know many stick some carpet down but even when sitting on the floor I end up leaning over all the time anyway and getting up every two seconds is no good either.
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:06 am

Well if you are set on a having a chair, make sure it has wheels so you can zoom from a workbench to another. And maybe have some form of fold out sturdy table built into it so you can work on something easily.

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:06 am

It's a valid idea, but trying to avoid negativity (and possibly failing) as said, the only thing I've thought would help me when working on scooters is a bench stand, something at about waist height.

But if used in conjuction, a stool with a removable/adjustable table or tray (possibly magnetic as well) on the side of it to be used in combination would be decent.

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    Skajosh

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:46 am

But if used in conjuction, a stool with a removable/adjustable table or tray (possibly magnetic as well) on the side of it to be used in combination would be decent.

Aye the idea of having removable products such as a table, tray, etc. Is coming into play. All idea's are welcome, it's not going to be some magnificent product it's being made so I pass my A level. Some of stuff of last year that came out of the class is naff and pointless in my option so I want something that as tinkerer's we could look at it and say "ah, that would be handy." or something at least worth having.
    Idea's will come to play but it won't be anything too complicated.
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:49 am

Skajosh wrote:

Aye the idea of having removable products such as a table, tray, etc. Is coming into play. All idea's are welcome, it's not going to be some magnificent product it's being made so I pass my A level. Some of stuff of last year that came out of the class is naff and pointless in my option so I want something that as tinkerer's we could look at it and say "ah, that would be handy." or something at least worth having.
    Idea's will come to play but it won't be anything too complicated.

A cup holder. I like a few tins whilst tinkering. Though I usually get bored and wander off mid way through a job

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 am

For working waist height in conjunction with the chair idea..........A hospital bed is absolutely bang on !
    sounds random but they are source-able and brilliant.
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:53 am

Yeah, I've heard a few people do that. I would love a proper workbench, but its the space.

LCGB Member - 5226
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 am

Yup. space is always the issue. Allas I usually work outside
    ModdyBoy

Post by ModdyBoy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:58 am

How about lift up lid armrests that lift up, and then there's storage space underneath?
    Skajosh

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:16 am

Keep the Idea's flowing gentlemen.
    Everything said here will be taken into consideration
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:19 am

ttscshaggy wrote:Yup. space is always the issue. Allas I usually work outside

I like to work outside when the suns out, CDs on in the back ground.

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:27 am

I have no choice but to work outside... in the car park Rolling Eyes

Skajosh

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 am

I like to work outside when the sun is about.
    MH 13

Post by MH 13 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 am

i will do some sketches if i have some time, given im working in a product design department

you have to first decide the product placement, is the scooter already on a paddock stand or workbench if so then go for the drummers stool sort of idea with adjustable height,

if not then could you possibly design clip together paddock stands out of aluminium tubing with those spring loaded clips like old tent poles or like you get on those adjustable crutches,

identify the main problem before making a product which will only be for people who already have paddock stands or work benches,

it would appeal more to me to have a flat pack paddock stand that can be easily constructed and de-constructed so that people who don't have lots of space can work on their scoots.

once you have designed that, then look at a stool sort of idea to hold tools etc,

i was thinking more along the lines of those fishing boxes, something you can sit on, store tools but also have it on roller ball castors, with places for easy reach tools,

maybe side panels on the box rotate out and lock so you can reach your tools on the side then spin round to be put away,

or like you say slide out drawers to grab tools from would be good,

if your going for a round design, some flexiply would look good, or some rolled aluminium sheeting with a brushed effect,

gel seat for comfort with neoprene rapped handles for comfort,

actually theres another idea, neoprene wraps for tools would be a good one,

deffo like wals drink holder, would need to accommodate cans as well as cups of tea

you could have an industrial wipe dispenser on it too, so you can clean your hands as your going along, could be a good idea,

or grease dispenser maybe?

i could keep on going with ideas because this is the bit of product design im good at, and making the thing too

ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 am

This is my paddock stand just so you know what josh is on about

We have been in talks of an adjustable one so you can sit it higher if need be.
    My one is designed so the rear wheel is just off the ground

Skajosh

Post by Skajosh on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:19 am

Nice one matt, keep the idea's flowing.
    I don't think it's possible to have a million different things on the chair. I mainly think this because it will just be over cramed.

I'm thinking:
    Lamp,
    Cup Holder,
    magnetic tray for bolts
    & possibly a tool compartment.

Yeah like shags said it would be cool to look into adjusting height on the padlock stand but that maybe on another project now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:03 pm