Vespa T5 Engine Rebuild.

Axiom

Vespa T5 Engine Rebuild.

Post by Axiom on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 am

What do you guys think of this. Completely new seals, gaskets and bearings a Polini 152 racing cylinder kit and possibly a sterling exhaust and a meceur crankshaft.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-T5-125-POLINI-152-Racing-Cylinder-Kit-/290810965685?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43b5af2eb5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270694998530

http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acatalog/VESPA_BEARINGS.html

http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acatalog/vespa_Gasket_sets.html

http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acatalog/VESPA_SEALS.html

http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acatalog/vespa_performance_exhaust.html
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Vespa T5 Engine Rebuild.

Post by Wally on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 am

I wouldn't bother with the kit, you won't get much else out of it and to get the polini's to work properly you really need to get the piston/bore clearance checked and sorted; it also seems counter-intuitive to swap a std alloy top end for an iron one for a reason.

No need to change the crank either - that one's just an oem type.

If you are rebuilding it then you may as well do the cruciform and clutch (corks, steels, springs and bushes) whilst you're in there. Likewise when you put it back together put on new nuts, washers and woodruff keys.

And finally if you haven't already got them, you will need a flywheel and clutch holding tool, clutch compressor (or a g-clamp works well as an alternative) and a flywheel extractor

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 am

Okay, well the only reason I mentioned the kit was because after a break down the other night I will most likely need a new piston and maybe barrel if its scored. Scoot changed pitch then cut out, now has little compression. Do you think the piston ring may have slipped? and regarding the crank, would a 60mm one be worth the while? Cheers for your advice.
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:23 am

you'll be giving yourself a headache with a stroked crank and minimal knowledge on top end reworking. you'll have to be thinking about packing plates and port timing as all this changes about
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:24 am

That sounds like a heat seize to me - have you changed the set-up recently?

RE: kitting

Have a look at your barrel first, but chances are it'll be shagged, especially if it locked up. If you need to kit it, then a 172 malossi is the only one worth bothering with imo, but even then I'd suggest trying to source a decent second hand std barrel, or even a repro (mecur still make pattern ones iirc, try buzzsolomoto)

But when it comes to vespas in my opinion if you want a tourer, buy a 200; if you want a daft scoot for racing about on, tune up a smallie. The T5 pitches somewhere between these in standard form, so it's difficult to alter the set-up to go either way (unless you chuck shit loads of money at it)

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:29 am

And as shaggy says long stroking requires too much messing about, particularly if you're not familiar with higher level tuning. Likewise I'm not aware of an off the shelf long stroke crank for a T5, so you'd need to get the crank split and either fit an eccentric pin or a longer rod (the T5 uses a 55mm stroke as std, so a 60mm rod would need a 2.5mm packer which would seriously bollock things up)

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:43 am

Knowledge on the physical work isn't the worry, I have someone to help me on that. And no wally I haven't changed anything recently. Scoot is at my uncles who just took top end off for me and took some pictures, right on the money wally it was a heat seize.

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:44 am

Going to get new piston and barrel polish up the head then go from there I think.

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 am

It has been having an oil leak by the drain screw, I guessing this may be a worn seal. Could that cause a heat seize?
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:01 am

The oil leak won't have been related to the seize. Most likely seal to cause an airleak would be the flywheel side seal. If it was the clutch side, you're more likely to have suffered fouled plugs and poor starting.

Was it idling at higher revs, or take a long time for the tickover to settle down after you opened the throttle?

Another possibility is a blocked jet...

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:09 am

it was taking longer for tickover to settle back after open throttle yes, how do I unblock a jet so to speak?
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:19 am

You sometimes will get dirt or debris come thru the carb and get stuck in the jets. Take the two jets out (main stack and idle) and either a blow through it with compressed air, or a spray with carb cleaner gets rid of it.

Though if the idle was erratic, that says air leak to me - main culprits are bad seal on the cylinder head (warped or loose), bad flywheel seal or around the carb... Good news is you don't have to split the engine to sort it potentially.

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:28 pm

How easy are std cylinder parts to get? If they are easy go with that, its a good set up and served me very well. But if you cant get them then look at maloss, at least it would be an alloy set up.

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 am

It's getting hard to find decent t5 top ends now, a few years back there were loads going relatively cheap, but this was when you could buy the malossi kit for about what the polini kits are now. Most people just stick to std top ends nowadays.

Like I say i think buzz has new mecur ones in, but if you can find a good 2nd hand oem one (guilardoni?) The quality is much better... Last one I got I swapped for a mk1 driver screen Very Happy

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:37 am

I'm getting my old standard cylinder replated and getting a new piston now.
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 am

Sounds pricey. There's a decent t5 barrel on ebay at the minute for 50 notes. Still less than half the price of replating...

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 am

I was quoted £50 for a replate
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 am

Wheres from fella ?
    usual prices range from £100 to £120

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 am

from here http://www.bdkraceeng.co.uk/Replates.htm

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:23 am

I rang them up and they said it would be around £150 at first, then I said it was a vespa and they said around £50 maybe less depending on the condition of the cylinder. Dunno he he thought it was something else
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:41 am

I'd double check that. Seems a bit too cheap to me...

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:55 am

It's getting taken up there on Wednesday, I'll see what they say then. As long as it's cheaper than £130 it should still be okay, I was going to just buy a new standard kit which comes to £220. £130 plus £85 for a new piston equals about £220. They also told me they can do it in a day, how long does it normally take to replate a cylinder?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 am