Breaking in new top end?

Axiom

Breaking in new top end?

Post by Axiom on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 am

I will soon be rebuilding my top end as I seized it somehow about a month ago. What's the best way to break it in and what oil should I use, some people say standard mineral oil is best for break in? Surely full synthetic is the way to go?
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Breaking in new top end?

Post by Wally on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Personally I'd stick with your normal oil and follow standard running on procedures (varied revs, no long periods of WOT and avoid hills if you can). Loads of short trips round town are good - loads of start, stop is good and not much chance to hold it open. In terms if durations I'd say try 100 mile, or about a full tank of fuel, tho anything up to 300 miles is a good idea. You should be able to feel it loosen up a bit as you go and as you do more miles you can start to up the edge and bring the speeds up.

HTH
    Wal

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Axiom

Post by Axiom on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 am

Okay cool, glad you only said like 300 miles. Some people say like 1000! So basically just keep rev's mid rang through all gears, short trips with stops, no long up hill pulls and no open throttle for long period. Cheers chap!
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 am

No worries, with nicasil barrels you can get away with a shorter bedding in period than iron (nice thin rings and hard bore surface etc etc.) Some will tell you only need 100 miles, or even none at all, but with top ends being two hundred quid a pop these days it's always worth erring on the side of caution. But like I say, once the first 100 miles is out the way you can start to use WOT for longer periods

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    Jamie

Post by Jamie on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 am

i did 500 miles at 40 mph, its a bit execive but the more the better. SIP Scootershop reckon you only need an hour running in, but im not sure if thats advisable.
    liammodsmith

Post by liammodsmith on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 am

did malosi use to say dunno if they still do but they use to say set it on high tick over for an hour and thats u

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:29 am