Renewing Brake Fluid

2ToneJake

Renewing Brake Fluid

Post by 2ToneJake on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:26 am

can someone give me a step by step on how to change brake fluid

my front brake has felt a bit spongey for a few months but its not got to the stage where its all the way to the handlebar and there's very little braking happening

i've already got some Dot 4 and a new set of rubber seals for it but dont know where to start really
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Renewing Brake Fluid

Post by NorthernJordan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 am

Never done it before, so cant offer too much advice. But make sure you dont get it on your paint work!

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:16 am

It's one of them piss-you-off jobs tbh. Haynes manual is the best place to start.

But in short you will need to drain the system - undo the bleed valve by 1/4 of a turn, attach a length of pipe, or better still a proper brake bleeding kit and pump through the old fluid via the lever. Once the system is bled you can strip the master cylinder down to change the seals - fairly straight forward, just take off the lever and remove the piston (make sure not to loose the spring inside).

Once it's all back together place the pipe on the end of the bleed valve in a container full of the old fluid so the open end is submerged (needs to be kept submerged at all times, otherwise you will introduce air into the system) - if you're using a proper bleeding kit then the non-return valve should stop this happening. Then it's a case of slowly filling the master cylinder with the new fluid until the level doesn't go down; then gently pump the brake lever (with the M/C top off) to push through the fluid and air. Keep doing this until there are no more air bubbles coming through the pipe, making sure to keep the fluid in the M/c as close to the maximum mark as possible. Once it's done you should be able to feel the brake is more responsive, then put the M/C cover back on, tighten the nipple up, remove the pipe and you're done.

As an aside, make sure you don't get any brake fluid onto your bodywork else it's bye bye paintwork (you do have a very slight window tho it get it wiped off)

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:17 am

If that's a clear as mud, then I have a feeling scooterhelp may have a section on brake bleeding

HTH

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am

thanks for you're help - i'm gonna order a bleeding kit now and hopefully get it done on saturday, cheers Smile
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 am

I'd check your pads as well

2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 am

how do i check them? how many miles do they usually last?
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 am

No set milage as it really depends on the quality of the pad, braking style etc etc. Take them out and inspect them for excessive wear is the only way to do it

2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 am

how do i go about doing that? is there any special tools needed or anything? its the original piaggio pads that're in now
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Take the caliper off, then there's a plastic cover on the back, take that off, then youll see a pin tuning through the back, take the c clip off the end of it and slide it out. Then take the H shaped clip out (make a note of which way it sits) then you should be able to take the pads out.When you put the new ones in, put a dab of copper or other high temp grease on the back and obviously make sure none goes on the braking surfaces or disc

Jamie

Post by Jamie on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 am

to be fair, pads cost £12, so its worth changing them anyway.
    josh

Post by josh on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 am

as jamie said it is just as well renewing your pads mate

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:38 pm