Disc front end??

Ryan1516A

Disc front end??

Post by Ryan1516A on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:12 am

How hard is it to put a disk break set up on a t5 mk1? do any parts need modified?
    ttscshaggy

Re: Disc front end??

Post by ttscshaggy on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:51 am

Its pretty straight forward.
    the main thing is do you want semi or a full hydraulic setup. The headset will need modifying for full. Px master cylinder on the headset is the usual conversion. imo they make it look look a bit shite, they aren't that good too having a tiddly piston. but thats my personal preference.

If you want the standard look, get a piaggio typhoon semi hydraulic. these have a good rep and work very well.

The arsy'ist part is the brake fluid bleeding

Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 am

I've just done one myself. I just took all the disc parts off my 'spare' PX and got a converted mk1 headset cheap and chucked it all together. The braking power is better than drum, but not by that much. If I hadn't had the majority of the necessary bits spare, I wouldn't have bothered.

If your brakes are a bit ineffective, you're best off replacing your shoes with good quality ones and putting a decent OEM or nylon cable on the front. Likewise if you're running a split cable with a front brake light switch, take it out and put in a straight-through type, this will help the front brake a fair bit.

Another option is a reverse pull on your front, which is basically where you use the outer to activate the arm rather than the inner by threading the cable the other way through the adjuster and putting a nipple or fastener on it. It's easier to do on the threaded end type cables; if you do try it make sure you use a load of grease on the inner cable to avoid it locking up.

HTH

Wal

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    josh

Post by josh on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:06 pm

wally you almost sound like you know what your doing haha Smile
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:04 am

A terrible accusation Joshua albino

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    josh

Post by josh on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 am

haha just gafffa tape it until its alright i say haha

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:42 am