my px12e (spending some cash )

bikeconvert

my px12e (spending some cash )

Post by bikeconvert on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:15 am

anyone that met up at wakefield has seen the legend (pile of shite) that is my mighty px125e , its a 1982 itallian import , as jordon will tell you the exhuast resembled a cheese grater , full of holes not cheese , so that has been replaced for another standerd one after i dropped the engine and cut the bolts off , EFFORT!!!!

i have replaced all the cables , oil , and greased her up.

at the end of the month im gonna spend some money on the engine , and wonderd what people thought might be the best things to buy , to improve performance , reliability , ect , i will be spending around 350 english pounds.

cheers people

and some people will hate me , but im getting indicator grills and maybe even a gordon screen if i track one down at a good price Smile
    Harry

Re: my px12e (spending some cash )

Post by Harry on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:19 am

180 kit ! upjet carb and wack an nice exhaust on, might get away with a sito plus but not sure.
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:24 am

SNAP! I have black indicator grills on mine now Cool I am also trying to find a Super Gordon Screen.

I guess for performance a cylinder kit and exhaust would be what you need. Cylinder kits tend to be around £170-200 your choices are Malossi, Polini and Pinasco. I am sure Wally will be able to tell you more though.

LCGB Member - 5226
    bikeconvert

Post by bikeconvert on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:27 am

theres two gordon screens on ebay atm for px but there 125 pounds
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:29 am

You can also get some cast iron 5 port
    150cc
    kits very cheap. Might be worth a look, my T5 is a 125 5 port and is fast enough, so the kit should provide a reasonable amount of umph

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 am

NorthernJordan wrote:SNAP! I have black indicator grills on mine now Cool I am also trying to find a Super Gordon Screen.

I guess for performance a cylinder kit and exhaust would be what you need. Cylinder kits tend to be around £170-200 your choices are Malossi, Polini and Pinasco. I am sure Wally will be able to tell you more though.

Jesus, I'm a trend setter me!

Craig,

I'd say that your best bet would be the polini kit, si24 carb, sito+ or sterling pipe and maybe an upgear kit if you can afford it (my estimate for that is about the 350 mark without labour/casing work).

Loads of low down power and much easier to run/set up, plus you don't need to worry about matching the ports on the cases as much as with the malossi.

Pinasco kits are fecking expensive for what they are IMO, tho that said the small block ones are better that the 215's... but if you did get one you'll need the ally rather than the iron one.

I'm not a huge fan of the malossi kits as they need to be set up right and you can only get something decent from them by having the porting on the cases done, which pushes the cost up to the level where you may as well just buy a whole P2 or T5 engine

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    josh

Post by josh on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:43 pm

i have px125 quick enough but more torque than bhp standard px125 engine dont know about the gears but i/others think it has a t5 4th init i had a focus st at lights up to 55 then it caught and he ex rally driver (NOT PRO)
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:46 pm

josh wrote:i have px125 quick enough but more torque than bhp standard px125 engine dont know about the gears but i/others think it has a t5 4th init i had a focus st at lights up to 55 then it caught and he ex rally driver (NOT PRO)

It probably does have a T5 4th gear in it... they're the same as the PX 4th cyclops

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:50 pm

wally thought you would recomend polini... Do they do an ally kit for the 125/150 casing? If so i would go down the route of an ally kit.

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:05 pm

NorthernJordan wrote:wally thought you would recomend polini... Do they do an ally kit for the 125/150 casing? If so i would go down the route of an ally kit.

It's like most things if it's set up and run in right, then chances are you won't knacker the top end. Personally I'd rather have an iron kit just for the fact of if you seize it, then you're not looking at a whole new top end to get your scoot on the road again, just rebore them, run it in and carry on.

IMO the polini's are more forgiving than the malossi's which are pretty highly strung (and iron kits as well) and need dosh spending on case porting, which eats a fair whack out of the 350 budget

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Wally the main thing i like about the ally kits is that you dont need to spend as much time running them in. 400 miles pretty much covers it.

You can have ally kits reboured, but you would have to reline the nicasil. Or you could put an iron lining in...

LCGB Member - 5226
    pompey21

Post by pompey21 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:02 am

Polini 180 p200 carb t5 4th gear all for 300quid at beedspeed the way i would go
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 am

You would need a better than standard pipe for tha tho? Wouldnt it strangle any gains you make?

LCGB Member - 5226
    pompey21

Post by pompey21 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:58 am

Pick up a cheap pipe off ebay honestly gos like stink when its done just keeps on pulling!
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:55 am

NorthernJordan wrote:Wally the main thing i like about the ally kits is that you dont need to spend as much time running them in. 400 miles pretty much covers it.

You can have ally kits reboured, but you would have to reline the nicasil. Or you could put an iron lining in...

Though technically you could get ally/nicasil rebored, the re-lining will set you back over £100, so not really worth it in my book. The limited run in time is an advantage (in practice you can actually get away with not running in a T5 cylinder) but there's always a trade-off somewhere and in this case it's the price/repair costs. Also iron liners are cheaper but will require more running in and offer less cooling than nikasil

ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:15 am

for 125/150 casing, a pretty good ally kit is the parma.
    you need to to run in 400 miles on an ally kit ! 100 would be fine.

Ally barrel arnt just to aid runnig in. basically its just better heat reduction and tighter tolerances with piston/bore . run .97/.98 tolerance
    bikeconvert

Post by bikeconvert on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:32 am

i might just spend a little more and buy a 150/160/200 engine ?
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:33 am

bikeconvert wrote:i might just spend a little more and buy a 150/160/200 engine ?

You'll get fuck all out of a 160, or a 150 against a 125, so I wouldn't bother. Personally I'd stick to plan A - kit your existing engine, 200s are great, but pricey now - coming up to £600 for a decent one and you won't get the same acceleration as a kitted 125

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:36 am

Just kit your engine, would be cheaper and easier. A 150 engine is just the same as a 125 engine ain t it??

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:38 am

NorthernJordan wrote:Just kit your engine, would be cheaper and easier. A 150 engine is just the same as a 125 engine ain t it??

Depending on the model/year the gearing is generally the same, just an extra 25cc on the top end, which equates to about a 3 - 5 mph boost.

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:04 am

I meant like for like a PX125 and 150 engines are effectively the same. SO you might as well put a good pipe, carb and cylinder kit on...

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 am

NorthernJordan wrote:I meant like for like a PX125 and 150 engines are effectively the same.

As did I... the early PX engines had slightly different gearing to the efl onwards IIRC

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm