Oil Leak??

jamievespa

Oil Leak??

Post by jamievespa on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:52 am

Hi guys,

For a while now I've had a small puddle of oil left when the bikes been standing over night etc, at first I thought it was the gear box oil however upon further inspection (looking under the cowelling) it looks as though the oil is coming from the head.

I dunno if its loose head bolts or worn gaskets but don't really want to mess too much as I've had no good experiences working on this engine so if I could get a diagnosis I can mention it when I get the service/MOT done in a few weeks..

Scoot details: Standard PK100 w/ Simonini exhaust

Cheers!
    tull

Re: Oil Leak??

Post by tull on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:38 am

this happeneded on my px mate and the head needed tightening and alot of it was coming from under spark plug so i would check that out and tighten it up properly Smile
    jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:48 am

tull wrote:this happeneded on my px mate and the head needed tightening and alot of it was coming from under spark plug so i would check that out and tighten it up properly Smile

Aha that sounds familiar.. I had a look around the spark plug and it does look rather oily so yeah sounds like it needs the head and spark plug tightening Smile

Cheers fella Smile
    tull

Post by tull on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:57 am

no problemo pal Very Happy
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:15 am

I'd recommend investing in a torque wrench - absolutely essential bit of kit in my book - you definitely need one for cylinder heads/flywheels/clutches

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    JamesD

Post by JamesD on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:20 am

you know the little oil thing next to the tap and choke on auto lube scooters? how hard is it to replace the seal on that if its knackered? because my scooter is leaking pure two stroke oil and im pretty sure its that!
    jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:22 am

Wally wrote:I'd recommend investing in a torque wrench - absolutely essential bit of kit in my book - you definitely need one for cylinder heads/flywheels/clutches

I'll get on that!
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:55 am

Jamie , take the head off clean it up and then lap it to check the surface is flat. It may be warped.

Then as Wally says , get a torque wrench and torque it to 15NM I think it is.
    Use a decent sealant, fuck the head gasket off.

Clean the plug and the thread in the hole . Smear abit of copper grease on the plug thread and screw it back in

James, fuck the auto lube bollocks off. There are just trouble if you ask me
    Proper premix is the future !
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:09 am

JamesD wrote:you know the little oil thing next to the tap and choke on auto lube scooters? how hard is it to replace the seal on that if its knackered? because my scooter is leaking pure two stroke oil and im pretty sure its that!

The autolube sight glass will probably be cracked rather than the seal being knackered. It's an easy fix - tank out, rest the oil tank horizontally (so the oil doesn't escape), unscrew the old one, screw in new one - job's a carrot

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:36 pm