aftermarket air filters

bikeconvert

aftermarket air filters

Post by bikeconvert on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:39 am

where do they attach to, do they attach to where the air hose goes on ?

bit of a shit question but just wanna be 100%
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: aftermarket air filters

Post by NorthernJordan on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 am

Have you got a standard carb on yer scooter? Did you buy a cone type filter?

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:58 am

You can take the rubber hose off and put it on the carb box. However I wouldn't recommend it on a standard scoot as it will add nowt, if not make it run badly. But if you do fit it you'll need to increase your idle jet by a size

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    bikeconvert

Post by bikeconvert on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:41 am

i havent got one , im just waiting on my poloni 177 to arrive and was wondering if one of theese would be needed ?
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:47 am

bikeconvert wrote:i havent got one , im just waiting on my poloni 177 to arrive and was wondering if one of theese would be needed ?

Arr right... nope you'll be ok with just the standard one

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    bikeconvert

Post by bikeconvert on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:54 am

very nice , also what kind of jet size wwill i be looking at when i put this kit on ?

if you say 120 i will be very happy as i have one kicking about haha
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:08 am

That's not far off, but no you're looking at a 116 as a starting point. As for the idle you should be just about bang on with a 55/160. This is the standard jetting on a PX200 carb which is pretty convenient as you could do with putting one on in place of your standard 20mm. However IIRC your scoot is premix, so make sure if you get a premix type carb to swap over the throttle pulleys with your old one.

As they're only a few quid buy a 118, 114 and 115 main jet as well so you have a bit of scope for adjustment either way

bikeconvert

Post by bikeconvert on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:22 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24mm-carb-Vespa-P200-SI-24-24-Dellorto-/120792852010?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c1fd0a62a

i was looking at that but im not 100% if its right , also they say some things may need changing and im not sure if i would need to

btw wally your a godsend haha your getting some beers , of ciders haha on me at brid
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:32 am

I wouldn't worry about getting a brand new one to be honest. You can pick them up for peanuts second hand (shame is I used to have a few of them before my last spares clear out)

Anyways that one from buzzsolomoto will still end up costing you nigh on 50 quid once you've bough the correct jets, so I wouldn't bother. This one may be worth a punt if you can be arsed bidding

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-Carb-SI24-24E-/330624273256?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4cfabe0b68

Are you riding over to brid with us then Craig?

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:38 am

Can't you just drill a hole in the standard filter to allow better intake?

LCGB Member - 5226
    2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:24 am

jet size depends if you're porting too doesn't it?

cos malossi recomends a 116 but cos i dont have porting done, mine runs a 106
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 am

A good point Jake.

Craig, if you were planning on just banging the kit on without the porting then make a start at 110 on your main with the above idle. Just expect to be underwhelmed with the performance!

Scooterotica in Ripon would be the best place near you to get it done. It shouldn't cost that much to do and IMO it seems pointless spending money on a kit to do an extra 5mph

bikeconvert

Post by bikeconvert on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 am

i havent put the kit on , because welsh scooter parts still havent sent me the piston rings that were missing urrgh , but i have the kit , biger carb , and a scorpian exhuast to put on , but not untill after brid , im back to standerd just so i know i will get there in one piece ,

im might be sending it to mo-tech early december for a engine rebuild so might get the porting done then ? and maybe an up-gear kit
    2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 am

do motec still do porting? i know they did a few years ago when they were a malossi tech centre - not sure if they do anymore though

i think the upgear kits are more suited for a 210 aswell, i'd check it out first
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 am

Up gear kits are fantastic on the polini kits, they'll turn some of that low down grunt into a nice bit of speed Wink

They're good lads at mo-tech - I used to live round the corner from the workshop. Would sometimes just pop in for a natter and to look at the scoots when I was bored.

Have you spoken to scooterotica tho Craig? Bit closer to you than toon

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 am

I think WSP are hit and miss....

Last edited by NorthernJordan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:49 am

NorthernJordan wrote:I think WSP are shit hit and miss....

I'd disagree there - from my experience they've been mint. If you ring them up rather than go through ebay you'll get a better service and its usually a bit cheaper. Plus they'll be able to tell you there and then if they've got stuff in stock.

Also next day delivery for nowt on a pair of tyres and a few other bits you can't argue there

2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 am

i use em all the time, only had 3 bad experiences so far in 2 years so they can't be too bad
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 am

I meant hit and miss

LCGB Member - 5226
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Ive used them once as they had a deal on Sip rims where I got them £10 cheaper than from SIP

But I wont ever need to anymore cause the Germans have been good to me lately tongue
    2ToneJake

Post by 2ToneJake on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 am

sips spot on - i got a huge order from them the other week n only paid 4.39 postage!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:42 am