rally gear

liammodsmith

rally gear

Post by liammodsmith on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:06 am

just out of interest what do you take to a rally and how do mast pepoule take it their am going to try to go to some next year but i know sweat f all about it
    JamesD

Re: rally gear

Post by JamesD on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:09 am

the obvious stuff, like clothes lol. then tent, sleeping bag, get a roll mate lad! and beer! take bin liners - always come in handy! and gaffa tape!
    liammodsmith

Post by liammodsmith on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:14 am

i think your forgeting the big one rope or you could just use the bungie one less thing to worry about but can one rack carry all this cause when i drink i get like a 20 crate and does no one bother it when ur not their
    JamesD

Post by JamesD on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:17 am

yeah i bungee it all on my back rack, if i was doing a long rally id probably invest in a front rack! and yeah my rack holds a 20 crate easy lol. put the tent, crate, sleeping bag and roll mat on the rack then put my bag on my back. or i try and bungee my bag to the other shit if its far because otherwise my back will hurt like.
    liammodsmith

Post by liammodsmith on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:21 am

yeah so all i need is drink some wear to sleep and all that and stuff for a good night out duck tape bin bag and to tie stuff up with
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 am

I try to avoid putting stuff on my back if I can, as there been plenty of people come off, landed on their rucksack and broken their backs; and I'd rather not go all steven hawking if I can help it Rolling Eyes

You can always strap your rucksack inside your legshield if you need to.

Anyways, as far as strapping stuff to your scoot use as many bungees as possible and them bungee net things are absolutely genius for strapping down a kip sack (or a crate). Also if you're going far, or have a thirsty scoot take a can of fuel with you, you can take the plastic centre mat off (on a PX) and run some flat ratchet straps under it, strap down your fuel can and screw the mat back on.

Also try and distribute the weight evenly and try and keep the majority to the back of the scoot else you'll wobble about like owt if its all on your legshield

... and tools and spares - take lots of em!

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 am

Tent, sleeping bag, possibly sleeping mat, clothes, snack food, possibly a small cooker (I wouldn't get a gas one but you can get fuel ones from halfords for cheap that look quite smart)

Torch, spares for the bike e.g. clutch/gear cables, make sure your spare (if you carry one) is all good and tools!

Docs: Tax, any breakdown cover letters/insurance, photocard license

Stick it all on your rack with bungees (or old belts if you're cheap like me Very Happy) or a cargo net.

And ofcourse the alcohols Very Happy
    jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 am

Maybe we can take the best bits of this thread and turn into a sticky for the Events thread?

Like a Rally Essentials guide?

Very Happy
    liammodsmith

Post by liammodsmith on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:42 am

jamievespa wrote:Maybe we can take the best bits of this thread and turn into a sticky for the Events thread?

Like a Rally Essentials guide?

Very Happy
    good idea
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 am

jamievespa wrote:Tent, sleeping bag, possibly sleeping mat, clothes, snack food, possibly a small cooker (I wouldn't get a gas one but you can get fuel ones from halfords for cheap that look quite smart)

Torch, spares for the bike e.g. clutch/gear cables, make sure your spare (if you carry one) is all good and tools!

Stick it all on your rack with bungees (or old belts if you're cheap like me Very Happy) or a cargo net.

I wouldn't bother with the documents (other than your tax disc) - you're not obliged to carry them so why risk losing or damaging them... sod it you're not even obliged to show the police your photocard licence if you're stopped. If you need emergency numbers store them in your phone or on a spare bit of paper in your wallet.

Another good one I was told is hide a tenner in your phone/ somewhere on your scoot, so if you blow all your money at the rally, or lose your wallet you've got some get you home petrol money

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:47 am

Wally wrote:
    jamievespa wrote:Tent, sleeping bag, possibly sleeping mat, clothes, snack food, possibly a small cooker (I wouldn't get a gas one but you can get fuel ones from halfords for cheap that look quite smart)

I wouldn't bother with the documents (other than your tax disc) - you're not obliged to carry them so why risk losing or damaging them... sod it you're not even obliged to show the police your photocard licence if you're stopped. If you need emergency numbers store them in your phone or on a spare bit of paper in your wallet.

Another good one I was told is hide a tenner in your phone/ somewhere on your scoot, so if you blow all your money at the rally, or lose your wallet you've got some get you home petrol money

Yeah that's true, I just get a bit paranoid about making sure I can get my breakdown cover etc Smile

The money idea is quite clever! Just don't tell your mates when you're pissed and looking for more beer money Very Happy
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:51 am

I still have no idea why you still need a paper tax disc these days, cause if you're stopped the police they'll still phone in to check it rather than just go by you having a paper one showing Rolling Eyes

jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:53 am

Wally wrote:I still have no idea why you still need a paper tax disc these days, cause if you're stopped the police they'll still phone in to check it rather than just go by you having a paper one showing Rolling Eyes

Yeah they have it all on the camera's on the side of the road in them vans...
    bikeconvert

Post by bikeconvert on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:09 am

bring a pillow if your camping haha , it takes up hardly any room but makes such a big difference , its hard riding your scoot home when you cant turn your head cause your neck is killing you
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 am

I have to take stuff to make a brew for the morning.. or im just a grumpy zombie Sleep
    The tea you get at the vans on rallies is just awful

Always carry scooter spares(plug,cables,tool,oil,piston rings)

decent tent and sleeping bag
    Clothes unless your a tramp like me . just spare Tee and undies Laughing
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:49 am

ttscshaggy wrote:I have to take stuff to make a brew for the morning.. or im just a grumpy zombie Sleep
    The tea you get at the vans on rallies is just awful

Always carry scooter spares(plug,cables,tool,oil,piston rings)

decent tent and sleeping bag
    Clothes unless your a tramp like me . just spare Tee and undies Laughing

Spare grundies? I think you're one of them luxury tramps - inside out and that's a fresh pair int it?

jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:53 am

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:14 am

I used to just carry most of it on my back, but now I have front rack and have changed my rear l plate it will be going on the racks. I have just bought a load of bungees too. I wouldn't carry beer to a rally, if you want a crate just buy some at a shop in the rally town.

LCGB Member - 5226
    josh

Post by josh on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:36 pm

i was going to say what jordan did just save room buy beer at nearest sop to location and as for ya scruds u can have inside out back to front back to front inside out trust me theres a few ways.
    i do it the proper way and only done rhyl once but the time i did i got me nan to camp in abergelli 5 mins away and just rode to location
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:26 pm

What puts me off that is that it is extra weight to carry on you scooter. And what if you come of with a crate of beer on the back of your scooter?

LCGB Member - 5226
    jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 pm

NorthernJordan wrote:What puts me off that is that it is extra weight to carry on you scooter. And what if you come of with a crate of beer on the back of your scooter?

It's a waste of beer....

However, instant anesthetic Smile
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:09 am

I cant imagine it being that fun if you come off, lying there in a pool of beer with shards of glass and mangled beer cans!

LCGB Member - 5226
    liammodsmith

Post by liammodsmith on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:11 am

it is that a saterday night for me
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:14 am

haha!

On a more serious note, i wouldnt leave home without some spares so you can at least fix your scooter if something minor happens. Plug, plug cap, HT Lead, spares cables etc and a good selection of tools.

You can also get nifty little racks that sit over the ridge on the bottom of the legsheild. I reckon you could get a compact tent and sleeping bag on there.

LCGB Member - 5226
    jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 am

NorthernJordan wrote:haha!

You can also get nifty little racks that sit over the ridge on the bottom of the legsheild. I reckon you could get a compact tent and sleeping bag on there.

Any links/pics? Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm