Engine Decisions

Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Engine Decisions

Post by Wally on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:49 am

I've been offered a swap on my P2 lump for a T5 one. I'm not sure if I should do it tho. On the one hand a mk1 T5 should have a T5 engine in it and they're good fun to ride and there's fewer and fewer coming up for sale.

...but on the other hand my P2 chugs along, is reliable and needs nowt doing to it (touch wood and all that), plus I'm still pondering the polini 210 kits, but this is more expense.

Anyone want to talk me into the swap as I'm currently leaning slightly more towards keeping my P2

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Engine Decisions

Post by Wally on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 am

Or alternatively I could always buy another P2 lump as a spare if I swap mine

hhhmmmmmnnn confused

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    Dean
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Dean on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 am

hmmmm ... I would Get the p200 engine
    But why does he wanna swap it you need to ask?
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am

T'was my immediate thought, I'd have to get a good look into it and if I were to get the T5 off this gadgie I'd make sure it ran sweet before parting with mine. As they like to eat their sealing pads I wouldn't go near one that didn't run right.

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 pm

T5s are great, and yes the bike would be right with a proper t5 engine in.

But I like the idea of a litter p200 engine, good top end and beta of torque. Great for long hauls!

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:04 am

NorthernJordan wrote:T5s are great, and yes the bike would be right with a proper t5 engine in.

But I like the idea of a litter p200 engine, good top end and beta of torque. Great for long hauls!

See it's a pickle scratcher this one isn't it. But it's the fact that it's far easier to get hold of a P2 engine than a T5 at the minute as they're all either shagged or being hoarded by weird collector types (and possibly being shagged Laughing )

Anyway you do a fair few miles on your T5 Jord!

JamesD

Post by JamesD on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:07 am

jord how many miles you done on your t5 engine?
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 am

Must be well over 1500, since late spring. I cant complain with it, but i can just see a really well set up P200 lump with a kit would just pull you like a trojan. Sit on the motor without revving its tits off!

Heres a solution, swap the T5 engine with your P200. Then flog your scooter as it will be worth a fair amount with a T5 engine in. Then buy a spanish TX200 then kit that... Or is that just the long way round to kitting what you have now? Suspect

LCGB Member - 5226
    Dean
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Dean on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:25 am

I read it wrong Rolling Eyes

Yea keep the p200 laaaaaaaaaaa
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:36 am

NorthernJordan wrote:Must be well over 1500, since late spring. I cant complain with it, but i can just see a really well set up P200 lump with a kit would just pull you like a trojan. Sit on the motor without revving its tits off!

Heres a solution, swap the T5 engine with your P200. Then flog your scooter as it will be worth a fair amount with a T5 engine in. Then buy a spanish TX200 then kit that... Or is that just the long way round to kitting what you have now? Suspect

That's the biggest arse about way of doing things I've heard Laughing I'd rather keep hold of my frame as I've spent a fair bit of time sorting it out

But If I was to do it that way I'd prefer a P2 disc.

But aye, having thought about it lads you're probably right about keeping my P2 lump

Cheers for the input !

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 am

Well thats the way i do things! Tune the balls of the P200 motor! Twisted Evil

LCGB Member - 5226
    Scotty90

Post by Scotty90 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 am

keep 200 motor and keep her stnderd, with a sito pluss exhaust, mebys a t5 4 gear but up a steepish hill u will be changing down a gear on other hand it will knock ur revs down when crusing down a and b roads, but the sito exhust u dont have to kain it to get it in power band so probs ok for normal hills, well mine is anyway, noooooooooooooooooooo polini 210 kit they are shite, u dint want a kit at all, a was going into the wind and overtaking a mallosi 210 because it didnt hav the tourk and vespas carnt be geard like lammys, if u want to kit sompthing get a lammy but vespas they are best how they arrived in the box, pluss do u want to be getting on ur bike and constintly thinkin about weather its going to seize, and not be able to go over 55 without it start screeming wanting to go so ur cruzing speed goes right down, keep it standerd with a tourky exhaust n hav fun riding it than at the side off the road changing jets and fixing it lol, done it all befor and got the scars on figers off fixin the twat Razz
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:36 am

...you can change the gearing on ye vespas scotty, know a few lads running 125 gearing (primaries and outputs) in there 210s and there's always the upgear kits. I know what you mean about the torque on the malossis tho, when you look at the ones with wide tyre kits they actually go slower than on standard rims.

But aye, I think I'm keeping her standard (got a shite-o plus on already lad) but maybe look at a stage 4 tune on the standard barrel.

Besides I don't have the money for a custom lammy mate Razz

Scotty90

Post by Scotty90 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 am

what a ment with the gears u carnt pick n choose like the lammys but i u do best keepin it standerd, ad go for the stage 4 tune like am wantin doin meself, but av done about 4000 mile on that engine this year and its still tight as a drum so am not touchin it till a brake a crusiform n have to split it haha, got a scorpian exhaust on mine atm, power band is right up the rev range like so not that grate up hills but keeps up in 3rd with the watercooled runner sp180 2 stokes, then a have to change gear lol, sounds mint tho, simi exhausts were always mint for tourk n sound on a standerd like, and niether hav i atm mate haha a ran out off dosh Razz gunna have to get saving again Sad
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:03 am

Gearing on vespa's is awesome this day and age
    Look at the DRT range of stuff !
    you can gear them how you like Eg. long 1st and 2nd and short 3rd and 4th gearbox
    then mess around with the primary gearing

Dean
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Dean on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:43 pm

I dont no much about gearing, on my T5 tho it didnt take the wind well or hill to good! had to change down alot.
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:45 am

Looks like I just bought a 210 kit... oops !

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:52 am

The polini alloy kit?

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:00 am

NorthernJordan wrote:The polini alloy kit?

Nah, polini iron one

ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:04 am

The iron polini kits are pretty good
    The pistons rings are shit tho

Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:54 am

I like my scoots with low down grunt rather than mad top speed, so whatever I did, it was always going to be a polini for me.

I paid a little too much for it IMO as I've got to get the cylinder head machined and replace the piston on it anyways as its the old style 1 ring type (not to mention the porting work) Rolling Eyes But on the plus side it did come with an old P200 head

I was thinking about a gran sport replacement piston tho depending on my wonga situation after Brid

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:24 am

So what are your plans for the it?? Are leaving pipe and carb as is?

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:33 am

My current plan is to take my time in getting all the bits done before I get the cases ported and it all put together - maybe try and have it for next season - for no other reason than I've not got the money to do it quickly! Sad

Planning on keeping the std carb, widening the exhaust port and maybe a PM/other midrange pipe

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:55 am