Hi i'm new

JamesD

Re: Hi i'm new

Post by JamesD on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:41 am

nah not really fella, it's like everything, once you're riding along it becomes second nature to change gear and you don't even think about it
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:18 am

Oh good, if anyone has one can you let me know how many mpg these do and also if you can get just over 30 on them, really want this bike I'm speaking to the owner now, ill post if I end up getting it Smile
    JamesD

Post by JamesD on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:21 am

don't let my question and the fact everyone has vintage turn you away from a twist and go! unless you like the vintage scooters!
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:03 am

thanks man i wont, i am just going to get whatever comes up near to where i live that is cheap, like this pk50
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:21 am

Personally I reckon a PK would be a perfect starter scoot at 16. As once you reach 17 just bang a small block kit on it, or a 125 engine in and away you go - nippy wee scoot cyclops

The only advice I'll give on buying a scoot is take your time and don't rush into buying a sack of shit. Despite the high prices it is a buyers market at the minute. Obviously people won't let you have a vespa for peanuts, but you should be able to get someone to sell you a scoot for around the £500 mark.

Wal

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 am

cheers pal, only problem i have with a vintage vespa is no underseat storage = carrying my helmet around with me at school and college
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:09 am

As for fuel consumption, my t5 does about 150-60 miles a tank, that is hard riding too and a t5 is a much higher performing scooter than an pk. It costs me around 8 pounds to fill up, I can imagine a stock pk would go for ever!

Stock pks will only do around 30mph and are fully learner legal. A pk is a good start in the classic scooter world, but before you buy one make sure its right for what you need Wink

Also there's a fella with a pk plurimatic on the vespa small frame forum. I bet he will let it go for peanuts, but the spares situation ain't great for them Razz

LCGB Member - 5226
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:13 am

NorthernJordan wrote:As for fuel consumption, my t5 does about 150-60 miles a tank, that is hard riding too and a t5 is a much higher performing scooter than an pk. It costs me around 8 pounds to fill up, I can imagine a stock pk would go for ever!

Stock pks will only do around 30mph and are fully learner legal. A pk is a good start in the classic scooter world, but before you buy one make sure its right for what you need Wink

Also there's a fella with a pk plurimatic on the vespa small frame forum. I bet he will let it go for peanuts, but the spares situation ain't great for them Razz

can you link me?
    i'm looking on For sale/wanted and can't find it -.-
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:20 am

http://davedaniel.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=12867

They are a fairly rare automatic vespa in a pk body, however the spare part situation is not great and they are not very popular because of this. Maybe not the ideal first scooter....

LCGB Member - 5226
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:26 am

ahh, would probably need some work if it's been sat for 6-7 years and like you say, the parts are rare, thanks though Smile
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:29 am

Yeah, it wasn't a serious suggestion really. Razz

You would be better of with a more normal scooter, parts for p range scooters are cheap as chips and you'll find a lot of help on forums with them.

LCGB Member - 5226
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:32 am

i know this is probably the most stupid question ever, but what is a p range scooter?
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:38 am

The vespa PK, PX, T5 etc those kind of slightly squared 80's ones Wink they are pretty bulletproof, reliable and easy to work on. Don't know enough about an et, but imagine them to be any harder.

If you don't mind me asking, what brings you into the sxooter scene?

LCGB Member - 5226
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:00 am

well i never really wanted a scooter, always thought it was a waste to buy one then be able to get a car after a year, but a milkshake/food shop opened a while ago in my town and it is based on a retro american style shop.

all around the shop there was big canvas posters with pictures of vintage vespas and once when me and my two best mates went in there after work we all said wouldn't it be good if we all had old vespas and went on trips around england on them and went to famous places etc, and then on i have always wanted a vespa so here i am 6 months down the line and now i am finally old enough to get one
    jamievespa

Post by jamievespa on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:01 am

Hi there and welcome!

that PK looks alright but if you can wait to find a better one I would, unless you can get it for a good price Smile It looks like an S frame but it has been fitted with XL rear indicator lenses (wrong way round btw) and an XL headset. That could suggest it has an XL tank with a fuel sender otherwise the upgrade to an XL headset is a bit pointless.

On the fuel issue, I've got a PK100 and when I used it for school/college (40 miles a week) I'd get about a tank a week but that was stop start school run traffic (I had mirrors, perks of being a mod). However when I use it to go see the mrs (lives in stoke) its about 35 miles from my house to hers and I can get there and back on one tank so say 80 miles with abit of running around. So it all depends on how you ride it Smile
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:03 am

this is one of the pictures that caught our attention, sorry it's a little small, only one i could find on google
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:42 am

Its good to see others getting into the scene who don't have scootering families.

For a bargain, I would post a few wanted adds on forums like the small frame forum, Yorkshire scooter alliance, scooterotica and get in touch with some of your local clubs. There is loads round your way, take a kook in scootering magazine for a list of them and also have a look in the classifieds and should hopefully be able to find something cheap.

LCGB Member - 5226
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:22 am

NorthernJordan wrote:Its good to see others getting into the scene who don't have scootering families.

For a bargain, I would post a few wanted adds on forums like the small frame forum, Yorkshire scooter alliance, scooterotica and get in touch with some of your local clubs. There is loads round your way, take a kook in scootering magazine for a list of them and also have a look in the classifieds and should hopefully be able to find something cheap.

cheers Jordan, big help! i'll look around and you never know, i maybe even end up riding to the parts fair in bradford! Smile
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:25 am

Scooter trader is a good website to have a look at, I put out a few adds about a lambretta must of got around 15 scooter offers all a bit to much for me but I was after more desirable scooters than say a pk or et. In the wanted adds just plead your case and say you re a skint 16 year looking to get into the scooter scene, some one will have something.

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:27 am

Aye that's always a good bit of leverage - the "I'm a young lad wanting the get into the scene" May work with the idealistic hardcore scooterists... maybe not with the weekend warriors Rolling Eyes

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:36 am

There is a lot of people who are in it for the investment and won't let a scooter go cheap, but after crimbo someone will need the cash quick so its a buyers market. I seem to delved there were some very cheap Spanish pks on eBay a little while back, a bit tatty but in full working order.

LCGB Member - 5226
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:42 am

Just seen your post on the small frame forum, might be worth popping onto the general board and posting an intro. Wanted and for sale adds always get a better reception on forums when people have an idea who you are. Wink

LCGB Member - 5226
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Wally on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:44 am

NorthernJordan wrote:There is a lot of people who are in it for the investment and won't let a scooter go cheap, but after crimbo someone will need the cash quick so its a buyers market. I seem to delved there were some very cheap Spanish pks on eBay a little while back, a bit tatty but in full working order.

Those ex-post office ones were niiice. They were from Purdys in Southampton. May be worth ringing them to see if they have anything like that in.

It may also be worth speaking to Buzzsolomoto in Halifax to see if he has anything in

Dean
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by Dean on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:02 am

Yea good to see someone else getting into it without there parents being into it!

And dont worry about gears after a few mins up and down the road youll be off. I worried about gears aswel and asoon as i got my 1st geared scoot realised how simple it was. Razz Razz Razz Razz
    JackC

Post by JackC on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 am

Wally wrote:
    NorthernJordan wrote:There is a lot of people who are in it for the investment and won't let a scooter go cheap, but after crimbo someone will need the cash quick so its a buyers market. I seem to delved there were some very cheap Spanish pks on eBay a little while back, a bit tatty but in full working order.

Those ex-post office ones were niiice. They were from Purdys in Southampton. May be worth ringing them to see if they have anything like that in.

It may also be worth speaking to Buzzsolomoto in Halifax to see if he has anything in

how much were these pk50s from the ex-post office going for?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:39 pm