Indian Lambrettas?

jamievespa

Indian Lambrettas?

Post by jamievespa on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 am

So I'm thinking of picking up a Lambretta project in the next year or so, I'm not totally fussy about if it's Italian or whatever as it's more for a learning experience and having a nice bike at the end. As most of you know you can pick up these bikes fairly cheaply as many shops import in bulk from India and sell them on as restoration projects...

What's would people's opinions be?

Smile
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Indian Lambrettas?

Post by Wally on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:40 am

As long as you replace the majority of the engine internals (on most indian lammies) with decent parts you should have a decent scoot by the end of it.

Though IMO you're probably better trying to get hold of spanish or italian lammies as a project, they may cost a few hundred quid more initially, but in the end you will most likely get it back on either the final value once it's finished (yes, I know - investment knobhead answer), or by needing to replace less of the parts

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by NorthernJordan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:37 pm

I looked into it a little while back, and yes you can pick up an Indian GP for a very good price. But, I would imagine you would have to bin everything other than the frame, some body work and the engine casing as they are that worn out and knackered. The later one also had a larger headset to hold indicators so you would have to change that if you want it to look like a normal GP. And the later ones had a different fork set up which only a turning from mud guard can be fitted to. There is guide some where about the changes between the different Indian GPs. A good thing is that some of the 150s have 200 cases and can he drilled out to take any 200plus cyclinders.

LCGB Member - 5226

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:53 am