stainless exhausts?

NorthernJordan
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

stainless exhausts?

Post by NorthernJordan on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:53 am

Ok, I have always thought that a stainless exhaust wasn't great as they retain heat and with that can cause problems ie seizing. However after reading on the small frame forum that people band there exhausts to retain heat as this helps speed up gas flow. This helping burn unburnt charge coming out of the exhaust port, and allowing to rev a good few hundred revs higher. So would a stainless exhaust assist this? Would the pros out way the cons?

LCGB Member - 5226
    ttscshaggy

Re: stainless exhausts?

Post by ttscshaggy on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:41 am

Band ? you mean wrap ?

on a road bike Jordan theres not much of a problem with S/S unless you give it welly everywhere. S/s doesn't dissipate heat well at all which helps cause seizures (obviously) but wrapping it wont help as your retaining heat which is worse really. you need to get the heat out ! ex ports are generally around 500'c , you want to keep it there not higher

Another thing ive heard on quite a few occasions with S/s exhausts splitting
    My dad has a scorpion on his P2 and has never had any problems mind
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:45 am

oh, retaining the heat does make it rev higher , but thats because it effectively shortening the pipe due to the heat. you dont want this on a road bike chap

Sprinters have this in mind as this over-rev helps with quater mile stands and the engine doesn't get excessively hot so heat problems aren't much of an issue
    MH 13

Post by MH 13 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:27 am

stainless can crack correct,

but it depends on the quality of the stainless steel and how the exhaust has been manufactured, i.e. has the exhaust been built with the correct amount of chamber for the exhaust gases etc etc,

hence why JL stainless pipes are a lot better quality than for example sterling pipes,

scorpions i do not rate, i have known a couple of people where the scorpion pipe due to it being restricted so that it could be e-marked, i know of two engines which they have seized due to causing too much heat.

however i was blamed, not mentioning any names, cough cough pete merchant cough cough the robbing twat,

that my engine holed its self twice because i put a jl pipe on it, when after the first time he rebuilt the thing, so how could it be my fault?

its all about set up at the end of the day

ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:07 am

fair points
    Personally, I dont think the like of sterling are comparable to a jl or similar. I'd never go for a nammer pipe, the steel grade is shit I think.
    they havent got a clue about pipe building at all I think, theres no maths to there designs.. they maybe cheap rip-offs but I would rather spend coin on a proper pipe tbh.
    ttscshaggy

Post by ttscshaggy on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:11 am

jord, if you simply want your motor to rev higher, you need to tune the barrel
    mainly the exhaust port...I have no idea on the standard exhaust timing on a T5 barrel but raising the port 1mm keeping a good radi on the top edges will let it rev better and increase the blowdown .Win/Win
    tomdavidwsp

Post by tomdavidwsp on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:32 pm

.5 OF A MPH HERE, .5 OF A MPH THERE

JUST PUT THE BIGGEST LOUDEST PIPE YOU CAN FIND ON THE CUNT AND RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT UNTIL IT IMPLODES

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:15 am