What's The Best Paint To Use On Vespa Rims?? Hammerite/carplan etc etc ?

KieranVespaSmith

What's The Best Paint To Use On Vespa Rims?? Hammerite/carplan etc etc ?

Post by KieranVespaSmith on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:29 am

?
    Wally
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: What's The Best Paint To Use On Vespa Rims?? Hammerite/carplan etc etc ?

Post by Wally on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:26 am

Whatever you want. I've used Hammerite in the past purely because it was what I had in the garage, that said I'd use the spray rather than brush on stuff for a neater finish. Tho doing them with normal paint will look neater still if you can be arsed.

Nowadays I tend to just replace the rims if they are starting to look shit or they won't let go of the tyre cause by the time you factor in paint and your own time doing it, you will end up going past the 16 quid a rim to replace them.

“Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”
    MH 13

Post by MH 13 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:18 am

unless you have some spray paint already, as above by the time you have bought wet and dry, primer and a colour of your choice, then it will already be over the price of a new set of rims,

if your doing two or three then it might be worth it,

halfords stuff is ok to use,

key your surface and remove any flaky paint with a low grade numbered sand paper or wet and dry around 120 grade will do, then go over with 240,

spray primer on, how ever many coats you need etc etc dry time in between and what not,

then once its dry with primer on, get 600 grade or a soft sanding pad, and just lighty key the primer surface,

then spray paint your final colour on,

then however many coats you want to do, you will get it to chemically key during a certain period when putting a number of coats on, but if its gloss each next coat to try and chemically key will be more prone to runs due to its glossy finish starting to set,

then let it cure for a good 12-24 hours, so you know its properly cured before then fitting your tyres again

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:22 pm